Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bookstore Trip

I discovered so many previously unknown things on my bookstore trip, it's embarrassing.
While flipping through the "sell to" bible, a.k.a, the 2009 Writer's Market, I probably wrote down 15 magazines I was interested in sending content to.
Just a few:
'Broken Pencil Magazine': an alternative, "conformity-challenging," angsty little zine,
'Briarpatch': a social justice/peace-centered zine,
'Ignite Your Faith': a Christian magazine geared toward high school kids looking for Christian colleges,
'Hope for Women': a Christian zine concerning personal inspirational features and stories,
'Skirt': an alternative women's fashion/feminist-leaning zine.
And many of them have more than "$" by their titles, denoting the fact that they pay well. YAY!
I also encountered a few books about writing that I'd honestly love to own and added to my 'buy' list.
1.) "On Writing Well," by Zinsser
2.) "Make a Scene," by Rosenfeld
3.) "Artful Editor," by Bell
4.) "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life," by Lamott
5.) "On Writing," by Stephen King (Stephen King- is it scary?! Haha, yeah I know...)
6.) "The Interviewer's Handbook: A Guerilla Guide: Techniques & Tactics for Reporters and Writers," by Brady
7.) "International Journalist: Issues and Dangers of Global Reporting," by Herbert
8.) "Writing Narrative Journalism : Inside the Writer's Mind," by Bloom
9.) "The Journalist's Craft : A Guide to Writing Better Stories," by Jackson
10.) "How to Write for Magazines: Consumers, Trade and Web," by Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment