Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Analysis of Psychic Profile

I feel like lack of time (or time management) was my biggest obstacle in writing this profile. My subject was extremely interesting- there's really no way to make a psychic uninteresting- but I feel that if I would've planned better, I would've been better able to prepare myself for the abnormality of the woman herself and found someone else to talk to about her. Her manner in general was very intimidating and I felt myself fall victim to her persona of "all-knowing" psychic. I really liked the descriptive passages in the profile and felt I was very accurate in that respect. Also, I liked the way my descriptions of Savanna herself wrote themselves out; they were accurate and almost under-embellished in many respects; I wanted to capture the woman, herself, in her home, her place of business, and in her current state.
My biggest regret is not getting another source to talk about Savanna with. I know I'm going to be dinged for that in my grade, but I deserve it. My only chance came with the other client that came in to see Savanna, but she spoke nothing but Spanish and my conversational Spanish is very sub-par; there was no way I could've interviewed her about her psychic meetings and experiences with Savanna. I should have fleshed someone out to talk to, but I didn't plan accordingly for that situation.
Overall, I feel okay about my work. I think it might be a bit news story- feeling in its set-up and maybe a bit of its reading and that's unfortunately a consequence of me writing so many news stories lately. Hopefully as the class goes on and I gain more experience I can capture the idea and the essence of writing feature stories with descriptive, non-newsy, well-crafted story lines and appropriate quotes.

1 comment:

  1. Your thinking was spot-on, about both the positives and the negatives of this story.

    ReplyDelete