Monday, March 15, 2010

"Coffee Shop Rock Star" Analysis

I really loved doing this piece about Chris- a seemingly ordinary, run of the mill kind of guy who is normally overlooked and underappreciated, especially in his kind of work- turn out to be this humanitarian/teacher/rocker dude. He was an awesome subject to interview. I loved the interview I got from Tony, who just was the funniest guy and obviously Chris' biggest fan and friend. Their, especially Tony's, vernacular was hilarious and makes for some colorful reading. After more intensive reading of the piece, I wish I'd made it longer. My interviews with Chris were very long and I felt like I had so much, too much, material to choose from and while trying to whittle the story down to the meaty bits, I think I lost some in the process. It could've easily been 10 pages instead of four. I also wish I would've done more description in this piece. I relied heavily on metaphors and they're great, but they can only take the reader so far. I would've liked to have done more "show, don't tell" type of descriptions, in hindsight.

No comments:

Post a Comment